The more common way to see Mount Everest from Kathmandu is by taking the short, sweet Nagarkot Hike. Nagarkot, at 2195m, is a quiet and scenic hilltop about 32 km from Kathmandu. It is an outstanding mountain view point. You also get to experience typical village life found in the foothills of the mighty Himalayas. The Nagarkot hiking trail is quite easy, but exciting nevertheless.
After the 1 and half hour's drive from Kathmandu to Nagarkot, we begin our Nagarkot Hike. For people who have limited time in Nepal or would like something more relaxed than a high mountain trek, this is perfect for you. From Nagarkot, you can see a panorama view of the Himalayas, ranging from the Dhaulagiri in the west to Mount Everest in the east, as well as the magnificent Kanchenjunga (at 8586m, it’s the 3rd highest mountain in the world.) Try to bring some binoculars for the best view of Everest! We will be far from the noise of Kathmandu for the day, immersed in the relaxed lifestyle of the villagers.
Before traveling to Nepal, many people ask, “Can I see Mt. Everest from Kathmandu?”
The answer is yes!
- You can see Mt. Everest from Kathmandu in two ways
- The quick way is by taking a 1 hour Everest View Flight from the Kathmandu domestic airport. This is an experience of a lifetime that allows you to see the world’s highest mountains within 1 hour.
Within a short drive and a few hour's hike, you will be amazed to see the difference between valley life and the landscape of Kathmandu. The way that the villagers are living seems unchanged through the passing of time. If you’d like to extend your trip for a night, we can arrange that. The sunrise and sunset on the Himalayas seen from this hill would be a lifelong memory for you. After passing through jungles and villages, our Nagarkot hiking trail will end at Changunarayan Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is the oldest temple in Kathmandu, constructed over 1,500 years ago. After we visit the temple, we head back to Kathmandu.
Your Nagarkot Day Hike can be organized all around the year which gives you the amazing experience of the local village life of Nepal. Even during the winter, the views are just as crisp, and there are less tourists. Also, it is a perfect hike for all ages. It is truly the best day hike inside the Kathmandu valley and it’s a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the capital city. Come check out our Nagarkot Hike and experience the village cultures firsthand, while also being surrounded by stunning views of the highest mountains in the world.
3 Options for Nagarkot Bhaktapur Day Hike ( Choose which you want)
- Morning sunrise from Nagarkot, hike to Changunarayan from Nagarkot. (Bhaktapur sightseeing before driving back to Kathmandu, optional but includes in package cost) Breakfast on your own, our guide will show you the restaurants.
- Drive to Changunarayan and hike up to Nagarkot after lunch drives back to Kathmandu. If you want to visit Bhaktapur included it in your trip cost.
- First Bhaktapur visit (if you want to visit), drive to Changunarayan and hike up to Nagarkot and drive back after the Sunset View.
Or no hikes just a sunrise tour or sunset tour write us.
Another highly recommended village hike from Kathmandu is: Ranikot Village Day Hike
- Stunning Himalayan Peaks.
- World's tallest Mt. Peaks, and ranges.
- Farming, local villages lifestyle.
- Amazing Landscapes, scenery.
- Peacful hiking though forest, birds, animals.
- UNESCO sites "Changunarayan Temple" visit,
- If time permits Bhaktapur Durbar Square visit.